Top Ten Foods that Pack a Punch
5 years ago
A regular consumption of:
- Tomatoes, rich in the red pigment lycopene, lowers the risk of prostate cancer by about 40 percent.
- Nuts lowers LDL cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Soy, rich in isoflavones, helps maintain bone density and optimal cardiovascular function, and lowers the risk of heart disease and various cancers.
- Grapes, rich in trans-resveratrol and other flavonoids, decreases the risk of blood clots and hence the risk of strokes.
- Broccoli, rich in isothiocyanates and indoles, lowers the risk of breast and colon cancer.
- Oatmeal, rich in beta-glucans, lowers blood cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease.
- Blueberries, rich in antioxidant pigments (anthocyanins), delay age-related declines in nerve and cognitive function, and help fight urinary tract infections.
- Oranges, protects against cancer and stroke with its 100-plus cancer-fighting phytochemicals.
- Cabbage protects against stroke and cancer due to its content of folic acid, potassium, and indoles.
- Flaxseed meal, with its rich content of lignans and omega-3 fat, inhibits breast cancer and possesses anti-inflammatory activity.